These are the top conferences and journals in the field of information visualization. It is intended as a supplement to my advice on breaking into the InfoVis scientific community, and gives newcomers an idea of the various venues to follow and submit to beyond the eponymous IEEE InfoVis conference. Since InfoVis research spans multiple areas, I have added multiple sections for not only InfoVis and visual analytics (VA), but also human-computer interaction (HCI) as well as application areas. Furthermore, I have arranged the conferences and journals in the list below roughly in order of prominence. This ranking is based on my own opinion and not necessarily backed up by formal facts. Feedback is welcome.

Please note that this list only covers scientific conferences and journals. There are a lot of exciting conferences such as Tapestry, OpenVis, and Strata that are more geared toward practitioners, designers, journalists, data scientists, or other specific populations. Unfortunately, I have very little grasp of these conferences, so I have not even attempted to include them here.

Finally, the below lists are not exhaustive. Notably, they do not include for-profit or bottom-tier conferences or journals, such as the annual IV conference (which, confusingly enough, for a time was sponsored by the IEEE as well). These are only conferences and journals I would consider submitting my own work to.

InfoVis & VA

Top conferences:
Top journals:

HCI

Top conferences:
Top journals:

Applications

Miscellaneous Venues

Document History

• January 21, 2016 – document created, initial lists added.